Tuesday, August 24, 2010

a day(or night) in the life of a nurse

I keep thinking I need to write more of the funny things down from the things patients say or do. At the moment it might not seem funny, but some of the things I deal with are so ridiculous and funny.

Sometimes we all feel like we're on a psych ward and I think...good thing I went into nursing instead of social science. ;)

3 interesting/funny things from Sunday night.
1. Patient #1 for me was off in another world half the time. Sometimes he was at memorial and sometimes he was in WWII fighting and getting wounded. Thought I was also in the war. He would laugh randomly. And then, someone told me that a few nights ago he got up and was pulling everything out...including the IV and his catheter. Told the nurse that he was "just menstruating." So last evening he got up on his own(not really steady enough to) and it was a mess, and he told me "well I want to keep things exciting for you." and just started laughing. :)

2. Patient #2 I had last night but on Sunday night was pretty funny. He needs a sitter with him since he can't get up on his own but frequently tries to anyway after a stroke. So he was paranoid at night because the sitter was a friend of mine my age who is smaller than I am...you'd think she was like 16. He didn't want her there because he thought he might get accused of rape or assault or something since she was so young. So we had to switch people. Last evening he ended up falling on the floor because they had decided that the sitters made him too agitated...so he was by himself when he fell. ugh.

3. Patient #3 belonged to another nurse. 5am we all hear this horrible scream and run to see what it is...this older lady storming down the hall and yelling at us and her husband to "get her out of here...show me the door." Poor husband chasing after her as she's still in her gown. Yikes. So they let her leave. Apparently she does this whenever she goes to the hospital.

Fun stuff...definitely not a boring job. :)

1 comment: