Friday, February 4, 2011

Beginnings: Genesis and our house

Right now is such a fun, yet sometimes stressful time. We just closed on our house last Friday and have begun the work we want to do before moving in. Hoping to be ready to move in by a month from now. I want to go work on the house every chance I get...Caleb keeps calling me a slave-driver because last Saturday when we were there I chose to keep going until we finished a room, which meant we were there for 12 hours that day. :)

I'm anxious to get over there today since I have the day off, but feeling the effects of just getting done with my 3 shifts and going to work on the house last evening while battling a bad sinus infection for the last 2 weeks. So, I'm taking it easy this morning, which is good for me anyway, so I can spend needed time alone with God in reading and reflection.

I decided this week that my next goal in my Bible reading is to start at the beginning...in Genesis and just go thru the Bible chronologically. In no set time period. If I want to read something else for a bit, I will. But my goal is at least reading the old testament the way I tried several years ago. I strongly encourage everyone to try this:as I read the historical books, read the books of the prophets and poetry that correspond with the time period. It took a bit of work for me to figure out how all the passages would coincide, but it really made the old testament come alive for me and I'm going to do it again. Really makes it more like a story.

That is where I'm at. Sometimes I think maybe God makes me not feel so well so I will slow down and not try to do everything. Work has been busy and overwhelming, especially since I haven't felt the greatest. I ended my week working 13.5 hours the last night without much of a break, and dealing with a difficult patient(verbally abusive and time consuming) for 3 days in a row. Pretty exhausting. I think God was trying to teach me that even with people like this, my job as a nurse is to remain compassionate and do the best I can to care for the people I am given to care for. Whether they deserve it or not. Not an easy thing...God I definitely need your help for this!

1 comment:

  1. God uses interesting techniques to get us to slow down and listen to Him, doesn't he?
    In Job chapter 37 it says:

    6He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth,’
    and to the rain shower, ‘Be a mighty downpour.’
    7So that all men he has made may know his work,
    he stops every man from his labor.

    ReplyDelete