Friday, February 8, 2013

Freedom

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10 I have really been struggling with this. I feel like my primary role right now is to be a mom and wife, but to still have the time for a few things on the side. I really struggle to feel completely content with that, even though I know that's what God wants me to do. Most of the time, I love being able to take care of my daughter, take care of the house and be here to support my husband. But Then I feel pressure, I guess from others, the culture, and "vibes" I get hearing people talk, that it's not good enough. That I'm JUST a housewife most of the time. I feel pressure to work more. There seems to be a negative feeling towards women who "just stay at home." Like they've got the easy life. I think that pressure I feel makes me want to always be busy doing something if I am home and not working. I feel guilty if I have fun or chill, and am not getting something done. I have, however been trying to be more intentional about how I spend my time, and in that try to do the things that are important, and not be idle. That is different from the other feeling of needing to be busy with something, because I am trying to feel better about being home. I know some are resentful because they "have" to work and can't be home more with their kids. Well, today I felt an overwhelming urge to be still and pray. Even when I was busy doing things today, had that sense of urgency I haven't felt quite so strong in awhile. So while Kaeli naps now, I sit and pray. I am humbled and saddened that I don't spend more time like this. If God is bigger than anything else in my life, I've neglected to sit at His feet and give Him more time like this. Saddened that for most Christians in our country this is probably the case. But He forgives and gives me grace, and it is awesome to spend time with Him and feel a greater sense of clarity I so badly need! That is where freedom comes in. Needing freedom from the approval of men. Freedom from living by the law. Freedom to be who God made me to be and do what He alone wants me to do. "For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" Galatians 2:19-21 To conclude, I have to share a link to what my father-in-law sent today.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE

    apparently I have issues posting links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Mommy Guilt. It plagues us, no matter what we decide to do with our lives: to stay at home, or to work outside the home, or both. Whether we listen to it and define ourselves by it is our choice. Thank goodness for the grace of God to meet us where we are!

    ReplyDelete